i've got the best of interventions

Thursday, November 10, 2005

I'm Not Dead Yet

We've had another excellent community playlist posted over at BlogCritics and the Radish, this time on the topic of songs you'd like to have played at your funeral. I had it narrowed down to "Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole and "Orange Sky" by Alexi Murdoch. Here's what I wrote for the article:

I can't say that I ever really thought about what song I'd like to be played at my funeral, but this is the one. No, you can't dance to it, and it won't make you laugh or even chuckle. It's a very emotional song and although I am a fun person, more than anything else I would want to thank the people in my life who had shown me love. Alexi sings, in very nearly a whisper, "I had a dream I stood beneath an orange sky, with my brother standing by," and then crescendoes with "my salvation lies in your love." In the end it's a song of optimism, hope and above all the bonds that hold us together. Sure, it might make them all cry, but somebody better be crying at my funeral.

People have a lot of different ideas about what happens at death. Ultimately I'd want my family and friends to know that I treasured their love and friendship and would hope that they felt the same.

Listen to the group playlist (includes "Orange Sky")

Listen to just "Orange Sky" and "Over the Rainbow"

4 Comments:

  • At Tue Nov 22, 08:45:00 PM EST, Blogger Scott said…

    Thank you for linking me in your audio blog roll, and I love the funeral themed selections.

    Mine would have to be "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" by Joe Cocker

    or maybe "My Father's Gun" by Elton John.

    Anyways, thank you!

     
  • At Mon Nov 28, 08:03:00 PM EST, Blogger Shawn Anderson said…

    You say you're not dead yet, but the lack of posting lately since is rather ominous, no?

    Where's Amanda?

     
  • At Wed Mar 29, 03:07:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i am writing just to comment that "orange sky" will definitely be played at my funneral. its an amazing song. it took me forever to find the name of it, i hear it now and again and finally sat down and found it thanks to your blog. so....thanks.

     
  • At Wed Jan 03, 11:11:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    nise site
    http://www.onlinedating.net.in/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home