i've got the best of interventions

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Song of the Day

Richard Thompson - Persuasion

The Radish already covered my current obsession, Josh Rouse's "Nashville," so here's a little ditty that's close to my heart. The song was originally written as an instrumental by Richard, then Tim Finn wrote some lyrics and used to sing it live. In this version, Richard takes it back and sings along with his son, Teddy. Now that is how a great song is born. Tim Finn is a killer songwriter, as is his brother Neil.

Hmm, I wonder how many father-son/sibling/family duets are out there. Sounds like a challenging playlist idea. Not one I can tackle today but I'll keep it in mind.

Persuasion
Music by Richard Thompson
Lyrics by Tim Finn


You and I
Tempted by the promise of a different life
Time has fled
There's a constant battle running through my head
I don't know what to do
'Cause I still believe
After all the foolish things that we've been through
I will always be a man who's open to
Persuasion

Blind romance
There'll be no half measures given half a chance
But we never learn
Trusting in the fire while the cruel flame burns
And we need to rebuild
What was never there
What got left behind
After all the foolish things that we've been through
I could always make a start on something new
And I'll always be a man who's open to
Persuasion

And it's written in the my heart
So that everybody could see it
And it's written in my soul
After all I still believe it
I still believe it
I still believe it
I still believe

I don't know what to do
'Cause I still believe
After all the foolish things you put me through
I could always make a start with something new
And I'll always be a man who's open to
Persuasion

3 Comments:

  • At Wed Mar 30, 05:55:00 PM EST, Blogger Chris said…

    I love Teddy Thompson. Wish he'd come on and get that follow-up album out. Supposedly will happen this year. Fingers crossed.

     
  • At Mon Apr 04, 04:21:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice song - I am a big RT fan. I haven't heard 'Old Kit Bag' and hoping that will come to Rhapsody.

    Speaking of father and son, it would be great to hear a Rufus and Loudon Wainwright. Far as I can tell, it hasn't happened!

     
  • At Sat Apr 09, 04:49:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Me again....this time clicked on your link to Josh Rouse. Quite good.

    Reminds me quite a bit of Freedy Johnston - "This Perfect World" is a minor classic and to me it's his best by a large margin. Give it at try if you don't know it.

    Definitely Blogworthy (and I will).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home