i've got the best of interventions

Monday, March 28, 2005

Words + Music

Take a phrase. Turn it. Tweak it. Make it your own. The following songwriters have done so in a way that resonates and radiates with scores of people. People who are fans of the phrase; of the music that accompanies the words with just a simple guitar, bass and drumset, or with a swelling chorus of instruments. You hear it and feel it, not just in your ears, but in your heart as well. You might even sing along a little bit.

This playlist is fairly all-inclusive, with some that lean toward the mainstream and others that have always done their own thing. I realize that I left out so many worthy candidates, especially women, but I just like the sound of men singing. Other men I was considering were Richard Thompson, John Prine, Joseph Arthur and many, many others who laid the groundwork for this genre. If there's an obviously glaring omission please let me know. I tried to keep the playlist tight but I'd be willing to add something outstanding.

Lovely Words & Music

* "River Man" - Nick Drake
* "Collide" - Howie Day
* "Sodom, South Georgia" - Iron & Wine
* "Step Inside This House" - Lyle Lovett
* "Orange Sky (Album Version)" - Alexi Murdoch
* "Cry On Demand" - Ryan Adams
* "You Ain't Got A Hold On Me" - Mark Kozelek
* "Shelter" - Ray Lamontagne
* "The Blower's Daughter" - Damien Rice
* "Captain Kirk" - Bob Schneider
* "Lover, You Should've Come Over" - Jeff Buckley
* "You're Always Going Too Soon" - Matthew Jay
* "Love Untold" - Paul Westerberg
* "Streetlight" - Tom McRae
* "Seasons" - Neil Halstead

3 Comments:

  • At Mon Mar 28, 01:32:00 PM EST, Blogger Chris said…

    Nice list. I love it. I too love that feeling when everything comes together in music.

    Of course, as of tomorrow I'd say you'll have to add Glen Phillips! ;-)

     
  • At Mon Mar 28, 01:37:00 PM EST, Blogger Amanda said…

    You see, dear Chris, as you were typing that I was just listening to Glen's 'Abulum.' I am just getting back into him - if I had to pick one song to add to the list, what might you say it should be, hmm?

     
  • At Tue Mar 29, 04:02:00 PM EST, Blogger Chris said…

    Hrmmm, well as of today, I'd suggest "Courage" or "Released" for this particular playlist... but the whole album is wonderful, dear Amanda. ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home